Ramachandra Guha is a historian and biographer based in Bengaluru. His books include a pioneering environmental history, The Unquiet Woods (University of California Press, 1989), and an award-winning social history of cricket, A Corner of a Foreign Field (Picador, 2002), which was chosen by The Guardian as one of the ten best books on cricket ever written. India after Gandhi (Macmillan/Ecco Press, 2007; revised edition, 2017) was chosen as a book of the year by the Economist, the Washington Post, and the Wall Street Journal, and as a book of the decade in the Times of London and The Hindu.
Ramachandra Guha’s most recent work is a two volume biography of Mahatma Gandhi. The first volume, Gandhi Before India (Knopf, 2014), was chosen as a notable book of the year by the New York Times and the San Francisco Chronicle. The second volume, Gandhi: The Years That Changed the World (Knopf, 2018, was chosen as a notable book of the year by the New York Times and The Economist.
Ramachandra Guha’s awards include the Leopold-Hidy Prize of the American Society of Environmental History, the Daily Telegraph/Cricket Society prize, the Malcolm Adideshiah Award for excellence in social science research, the Ramnath Goenka Prize for excellence in journalism, the Sahitya Akademi Award, and the Fukuoka Prize for contributions to Asian studies.
Buy the books
- Gandhi: The Years That Changed the World, 1914-1948Ramachandra Guha2019-02-18T07:28:11+05:30
- India After Gandhi: The History of the World’s Largest DemocracyRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T18:36:51+05:30
- How Much Should a Person Consume? – Environmentalism in India and the United StatesRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T22:01:53+05:30
- The States of Indian Cricket : Anecdotal HistoriesRamachandra Guha2019-02-18T07:12:11+05:30
- A Corner of a Foreign Field: The Indian History of a British SportRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T19:28:06+05:30
- The Use and Abuse of Nature: Incorporating this Fissured Land & Ecology and EquityRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T22:23:41+05:30
- Savaging the Civilized: Verrier Elwin, His Tribals and IndiaRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T20:32:25+05:30
- Varieties of Environmentalism: Essays North and SouthRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T23:11:11+05:30
- Ecology and Equity : The Use and Abuse of Nature in Contemporary India (Note Series; 223)Ramachandra Guha2019-02-17T22:15:35+05:30
- Spin And Other Turns: Indian Cricket’s Coming of AgeRamachandra Guha2019-02-18T07:39:02+05:30
- This Fissured Land: An Ecological History of IndiaRamachandra Guha2019-02-17T21:47:26+05:30